Serves 12-16 (makes one 5-by-9-by-6 inch cake).Equipment
- 9x13 in cake pan
- Waxed or parchment paper
- Wire cooling racks
- Glass measuring cup
- Cutting board
- Long serrated knife
- Platter or 10x10in cardboard base for serving
- Small offset spatula
- Deco bag & #47 weave tip
- A 9x13 cake of your choice
- 3 cups of white frosting (choose a thicker frosting)
- Yellow food coloring
- Brown food coloring
- 20 small yellow candies (skittles)
- Ring Pops
- Gold foil covered chocolate coins
- 5 foil wrapped mini Chocolate bars
- 5 strings clear rock candy
- Chocolate golden nugget candy
Bake cake according to directions. While cake is cooling, tint 1/2 C frosting yellow. Tint remainder of frosting brown.
Place the cooled cake on cutting board. Using a ruler and serrated knife, cut across the cake using the diagram.
Decorate chest with long uneven strokes of brown frosting to make it look like rustic wood. Use yellow fondant or frosting, as I did, to make the lock and handles. Arrange the candies around and in the chest like pirates booty!