Totally Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies:
adapted from Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson
the recipe can also be found here!
· 125g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids
· 150g flour
· 30g cocoa, sieved
· 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 125g soft butter
· 75g light brown sugar
· 50g white sugar
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 egg, cold from the fridge
· 350g (2 bags) semi-sweet chocolate morsels or dark chocolate chips (I used a mix of white chocolate chips and dark chocolate chunks)
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas mark 3. Melt the 125g dark chocolate either in the microwave or in a heatproof dish over a pan of simmering water.
2. Put the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.
3. Cream the butter and sugars in another bowl. (I use my freestanding mixer, itself an odd source of comfort to me.) Add the melted chocolate and mix together.
4. Beat in the vanilla extract and cold egg, and then mix in the dry ingredients. Finally stir in the chocolate morsels or chips.
5. Scoop out 12 equal-sized mounds - an ice cream scoop and a palette knife are the best tools for the job - and place on a lined baking sheet about 6cm apart. Do not flatten them.
6. Cook for 18 minutes, testing with a cake tester to make sure it comes out semi-clean and not wet with cake batter. If you pierce a chocolate chip, try again.
7. Leave to cool slightly on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to harden as they cool.
It's the 6th day of National Chocolate Week! It was/is also National Curry Week and thought maybe I should combine the two, but then thought better of it! I also had an idea of making chocolate covered strawberries and I did but, that story will have to wait until tomorrow! For now enjoy another fantastic recipe from The Domestic Goddess Nigella!!
Last Note: Sorry I haven't been around much this week!! After a weekend of cake eating I've been watching my waist by not baking! This week you'll see me on another blog and you'll see my attempt at chocolate covered strawberries as mentioned above! If you have been busy this week making things with chocolate I'd love to see them email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or send a message on facebook! If I get enough I'll do a post featuring all of your lovely bakes!!
Hope you have a great weekend!!