If you are a coffee lover you could easily replace these for your morning cup of coffee!! The cake was so moist and delicious, but nothing tops the icing! I love coffee ice cream and this is exactly what the icing tastes like expect for it’s a lot more sugary! There were several recipes for espresso/coffee/mocha cupcakes, but I choose this one from Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days as I already had everything I needed in my cupboard. Maybe one day I’ll make the others to compare!
240ml (8 ½ floz) milk
20g (3/4oz) instant espresso powder
80g (3oz) unsalted butter, softened
280g (10oz) caster sugar
240g (8 ½ oz) plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 large eggs (extra large for USA residents)
- Pre-heat oven 190C/375F/gas mark 5. Prepare your muffin tin with cases.
- Lightly warm the milk, without boiling, and dissolve the espresso powder in it.
- Beat the butter, sugar, flour, b.powder, and salt on a low speed until the consistency resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the milk mixture and eggs together.
- Pour 3-quarters of the mixture into the dry ingredients combine on a low speed.
- Increase speed to medium until smooth and thick, pour in the rest of the milk mixture and mix until smooth.
- Fill your muffin cases ¾ full and bake for 18-20 minutes
50ml (1 ¾ oz) whole milk
16g ( ½ oz) instant espresso powder
500g (1lb 2oz) icing sugar
160g (5 ½ oz) unsalted butter, softened
- Like before, slightly warm the milk and dissolve the espresso powder and set aside to cool completely.
- Using an electric whisk or freestanding mixer with the paddle attachment on a low speed combine the icing sugar and butter until sandy in consistency.
- Slowly start to add the milk mixture, once it’s all mixed in increase speed to high until light and fluffy.