taken from All Cakes Considered by Melissa Gray*
2 sticks (1 cup or 228g) of unsalted butter at room temp
½ cup shortening
16oz (2 ¼ cups) of light or dark brown sugar
½ cup sugar
5 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour aka plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
The author notes that you should take out your butter and eggs at least 1 hour before you start making your cake.
Pre-heat the oven to 350*F or 180*C or gas mark 4
Line your 10 inch tube pan or cake pan or bundt pan like I did! I didn’t line my bundt pan I just sprayed and floured it!
- Cream your butter and shortening on medium speed
- Combine your sugars
- Then add the sugars half a cup at a time, beating 1-2 minutes in between cups
- Add the eggs one at a time and same as before beat 1-2 mins in between
- Dry whisk your flour and baking powder together (easier then sifting)
- Then alternate the flour and milk (Melissa notes add 1 cup of dry ingredients for every 1/3 cup wet) on a low speed. All of us bakers know that you don’t want to add flour then mix on med/high because flour will be everywhere!!
- Once it’s all added speed up your mixing for about a minute.
- Add the vanilla.
- Fold in the pecans.
- Bake for 70 minutes. I only needed 60 minutes but I used a bundt pan not a tube pan so might be why there is a difference.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and carefully flip out!
I sprinkled mine with icing sugar! It is very tasty!! Oh and do not skip out on the pecans... in fact I’d add more!! :0)
*That’s right I told you I had an addiction in an earlier post and like most addicts I try to hide it. So, I hid this book on my shelf hoping no one would notice. ;0)
Note: With day light fading my pictures have to resort to indoor lighting. Boo. I apologize for the just okay pictures!!